Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 22 12:17:13 PST 1999

Charles Brown wrote:

>Sort of like Keynes , wasn't it ?

Yes and no. Keynes wrote a preface to the German edition of the General Theory that praised Nazi economic policy. But, though Keynes shared the anti-Semitism of the British upper class, he wasn't at heart a Nazi.

>But what did that have to do with the arguments about anti-Asian
>racism, the topic of this thread ?

You said that "Henry Liu had the better side of the arguments he was in." I was wondering if you included that among them.

As for the China question, I'll say this: Henry went way too far in defending the Chinese regime - I won't say for "racial," but I will say for "nationalistic" reasons. Just because the Chinese government is sometimes critical of U.S. imperial arrogance doesn't mean it isn't a repressive regime in both the economic and political senses. A government that happily rents its labor force to the likes of Nike for pennies an hour doesn't qualify as remotely admirable in my book.

Doug