Migration, Etc. (was Re: Wen Ho Lee Support)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Dec 22 15:36:06 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>I'll go further out on a limb, from your standpoint, to say
>I don't think "internationalism" is the foremost issue for
>organizing right now.

Really? Aren't immigrant workers a major target of union organizing, and isn't internationalism essential to the task? And shouldn't solidarity with Mexican autoworkers be pretty damn close to the top of the UAW's priority list, for the most crassly economistic reasons? Doug

yes on one, no on two, and yes on three.

To me the term "internationalism" connotes an overarching, radical vision of worker solidarity.

Organizing in concert or in some kind of coordination with unions in other countries is a less high- falutin idea to my way of thinking. An important one because it has practical value. Much of the 'internationalism' I see on this list is just posturing. It has little or no correlative in the here and now. Maybe in the here and later. Nor do I think chauvinism is necessarily an obstacle to cross-national cooperation. On the other hand, such cooperation is invaluable in breaking down such chauvinism.

mbs