Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Thu Dec 23 00:23:41 PST 1999

Please respond to lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com cc: (bcc: DANIEL DAVIES) bcc: DANIEL DAVIES Subject: RE: Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

>Charles Brown wrote:>
>
>>He probably was arguing like Keynes , on the "pure" economic element.

>I don't know how many times this point has to be made: the reason
>Nazi Germany could tolerate full employment was because of severe
>political repression. There's no separating the "economic" and the
>"political." Do I have to quote Kalecki again on this?

((((

Not sure on this one. My recollection is that German economic success during the 1930s was the work of Hjalmar Horace Greely Schacht, Hitler's central banker, who followed a loose-money policy and (Enrique!) obtained capital from the Americans by regularly rescheduling and defaulting on loans (the Young and Dawes loans). I think (but am not sure) that Keynes' approving comments on Nazi economic policy were directed at the fact that they were not on the Gold Standard at the time, rather than at any pump-priming, public works, etc. I think (in order to be cussed) that I'm going to claim predictive power for Davies' Law on this one:

Davies' Law: If there is a monetary explanation for any economic phenomenon, then any alternative explanation is almost certainly a rationalisation of someone's political views.

cheers

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.