contingency

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 23 08:08:11 PST 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I am not sure why this shows exaggetation of the issue: these numbers
>show nationally, contingent plus "alternative" employment comprises 11.2%
>to 13.6% of the economy.

You're adding two numbers that shouldn't be combined; not all "nontraditional" work arrangements are contingent - they include some rather well-off consultants and self-employed people. Some of the employees of temp firms consider themselves in a long-term situation. A bit over half - 53% - of contingent workers wanted a permanent job, so the share of the workforce employed contingently against their will is under 3%. Of course that's 3% too many, but it's a picture at odds with both the Stanley Aronowitz and Fast Company views of the world.

Doug