China & Its Critics (was RE: Who Killed Vincent Chin?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 23 12:02:35 PST 1999

"Daniel F. Vukovich" wrote:

> Yoshie,
>
> Interesting points, all, and Scylla and Charbydis captures the general
> situation.

I think the principle that the WTO is, like a police department or the CIA, not subject to reform can for u.s. leftists resolve this Scylla and Charbydis contradiction. The position of nix, don't fix carries with it a rejection of making the exclusion of China from the WTO a goal of anti-WTO activity.

Anti-racism is as near to an absolute principle for u.s. leftists as I can think of -- and that precludes any alliance with (or even tactful silence regarding) any persons or groups who associate themselves with racist programs or slogans. I have Hoffa in mind. I think anti-racism also includes clearly demarcating progressive activities from groups and policy initiatives that are objectively racist. For example, attempts to rule out certain positions (e.g., aggressive solidarity with Mexican workers) as "diversions" are objectively racist.

IF activities aimed at blocking Chinese admission to WTO clearly separate themselves from racism, then progressives can simply be silent about those activities. If racist positions are implicated, then we must not only *not* support efforts to exclude China, we must openly attack such efforts as reactionary.

This post is clumsy -- but I think it is only its rhetoric, not its basic position, that needs improvement.

Query: Has TDU issued any statements regarding Hoffa's foreign affairs initiatives?

Carrol