lbo-talk-digest V1 #2298

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Thu Dec 23 21:40:47 PST 1999

> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:48:13 -0500
> From: Tom Lehman <uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu>
> Subject: The Nation--not for publication
>
> John H. of Yale.edu made some comments about the Nation magazine
> yesterday and its editorial policy. I've been reading the Nation since
> I was in high school, which was a long time ago. I haven't read every
> issue, but, I've read a lot of them.

Same here.

> I read Rolling Stone when I was young and I'm really glad to see that
> the Nation has brought Bill Grieder on board as its national affairs
> editor. The Nation could not have made a better choice than Bill
> Grieder. Bill knows the nation.

Agreed.

Though I'm curious whether his stuff on the fed stands up to the scrutiny of the more rigorous economic thinkers on the list.

> Although in the real politics of things, I don't think St. Ralph has a
> prayer...

Two things to consider: 1) the sense of futility you are expressing is part of the problem. (I'll forgo the usual platitides about hopelessness here.) 2) your perception that is no alternative to the major party duopoly has been, to some degree, created by your religious reading of "America's leading liberal weekly." Chomsky frequently points out that the function of the liberal press generally and the Nation in particular is to police the outer limits of acceptable opinion, the limit in this case defined by the left wing of the democratic party. My posting was exploring the possibility that the hopelessness you and many others perceive is a consequence of the Nation succeeding in its function.

Best,

John