Hillary, centrist creep like her husband

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 24 08:38:32 PST 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>What I think is missing in the understanding of Clinton and Blair is that
>the Third Way is so consciously, openly, and conscientiously opportunistic
>that it is rather succesful in riding the balance of forces and making them
>to a small degree accessible to more democratic pressure.

Really? The NY Observer article on Hillary noted:

>But once you accept the point that Mrs. Clinton really, really is
>every bit as much a New Democrat as Mr. Clinton, you have to come to
>grips with the irony that the people at the base of, and most
>enthusiastic about, her candidacy (and, in many cases, his
>Presidency) are the very "oldest" Democrats around: unions,
>feminists, ethnic politickers, all manner of activists.

In other words, those old-style liberals who should be applying Burfordian "democratic pressure" are her (and his) most enthusiastic supporters. So now there's almost no visible constituency opposed to welfare "reform," the death penalty, etc. etc. Isn't *that* the genius of the Third Way?

Doug