Must capitalism be racist?

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 24 23:00:02 PST 1999

Doug wrote:
>Big capital in the U.S. now represents itself as >being "diverse" and
inclusive (as do its media); >the Fortune 500 support affirmative action.
>Why? An illustration of Marx's comment that the >better able a ruling class
is to absorb the >natural leaders of the ruled, the more solid and
>dangerous its rule?

My thoughts on AA, concisely. Thanks to Pappa Marx and Comrade Doug. (sorry still have your Wall Street to read, will read, promise, in the next millenium, and if Katha Pollitt sees this, her Ham is on the way for her quick, winning reply to the Hillary quiz I posted a while back whichin some quarters got me to thinking it was me who pulled the switch on Ethel & Julius R.)

Since I didn't know if I should call Doug a Marxist, a "Left-Keynesian" or as a poster on Marxism-list a while back insinuated a postmodernist "enemy of the people", inquiring minds want to know, "Who Are You? What are You? Show Us Your Ideological Papers!"

Watch Doug's paragraph above re:capitalism & racism,get a flame war going, whereby Doug shares in the spoils of racism, and however precient the resolutions at the Seventh Congress of the Comintern by Comrade Dimitroff were regarding the class basis of German fascism and its politico/ideological policies of war and genocidal racism, Charles Brown will reiterateM-L ABC's and, in a way Gus Hall could never do, since Charles is too sophisticated and learned, we will see threads of these(((((((((((. Sometimes productive, sometimes akin to the Freud's Return Of The Repressed. Or Night of the Living Dead Ideologies. Anybody read the Karl Korsch essay from early 40's, "What Is Living And Dead In Marxism?, " lately. Think its in Doug Kellner's Univ.of Texas Press, Korsch anthology, circa late 70's. Sidney Hook has a chapter in ,"Reasons, Social Myths and Democracy,"(???)

Sorry, lotta books in storage, the Kellner and Hook are two) circa early 40's, with same title, probably a contribution to the short lived late 30's, Marxist Quarterly, that had pieces by Louis Hacker, Meyer Schapiro, among others.

Michael Pugliese