China, EU discuss trade, human rights

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Sun Dec 26 16:17:40 PST 1999

22 December 1999 China, EU discuss trade, human rights BEIJING: At a summit meeting intended to improve ties, China yielded little ground Tuesday on European Union demands that Beijing ratify human rights treaties and abolish the death penalty. After a one-day meeting with Premier Zhu Rongji, a delegation of EU leaders also offered little indication of when talks on China's accession to the World Trade Organisation might begin. China was studying EU demands, they said. Pressed about ratification of two United Nations human rights pacts that China has signed, Zhu offered that it was "only a matter of time" before China's parliament approves them, said Paavo Lipponen, Prime Minister of Finland, which holds the EU's rotating presidency. Zhu also refused to relent on capital punishment, saying China, the world leader in executions, needed the death penalty for reasons of social stability, Lipponen said at a post-summit news conference. Queried about reopening talks with the Dalai Lama, Zhu told EU leaders that the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader must first accept that Tibet and Taiwan are parts of China, said Lipponen. "We would like to have more concrete results, naturally, and we are concerned about progress here, but there were, in my opinion, some positive signs," Lipponen said. He noted that China and the EU had agreed to continue their dialogue on human rights. Though the EU leaders did not discuss individual human rights cases, they did raise China's crackdowns on democracy activists and Falun Gong, a multimillion member spiritual movement Chinese leaders banned in July as a dangerous cult. On China's efforts to join the WTO, European Commission President Romano Prodi expressed hope that Beijing would be "as constructive with the European Union as it has been with the United States." China struck separate market-opening deals last month with the US and Canada, leaving the EU as Beijing's biggest obstacle to joining world trade's rule-making body. Prodi said the EU was ready to negotiate as soon as China finishes studying European demands. He listed telecommunications, life insurance and tariffs as priority issues for Europe. "The list is not too long," he said. "It is just a problem of adapting the agreement that has already been done with the United States to the special and clear European needs." Finnish Foreign Trade Minister Kimmo Sasi added: "The American deal doesn't cover all our worries and I think the negotiations will take some time." Sasi said whether an EU delegation visits Beijing in mid-January as planned would depend on whether the Chinese are ready. Zhu greeted Prodi and Lipponen, saying "welcome" and "old friend" in English. But Zhu gave only a perfunctory handshake to the delegation's No. 3, Foreign Affairs Commissioner Chris Patten. As Hong Kong's last colonial governor, Patten earned the enmity of China's communist leaders by promoting democracy in the colony before Britain handed it back to China in mid-1997. In a book on his experiences, Patten urged governments not to sacrifice human rights for the marginal benefits trading with China brings. (Associated Press)
|For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|
For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.