Migration, Etc. (was Re: Wen Ho Lee Support)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Dec 27 21:23:43 PST 1999

>>>>>>RG:
. . . Taking a stand "at home" against all the artificial divisions imposed on working people by the system [in particular national boundaries] is what really counts, not ensuring fraternal relations between trade union structures in different countries (I'm not of course opposed to these).

That's what I was trying to say.

There are different levels, both legitimate, but the more advanced level does not appear to be within reach at the moment. Calling for the more elevated sort of internationalism amounts to posturing if there is no real audience for such a call.

RG: So what you do in practice to fight racism where you work or live, including practical opposition to immigration controls, determines the worth of your approach. . . .

[mbs] I don't agree at all. Many days pass when I do nothing at all to fight racism or immigration restrictions.

rg:. . .

Working people don't necessarily need the left to tell them how to organise a union (though every little bit helps). An independent class outlook on key issues like race, women's rights, foreign policy etc, does not however just come naturally to workplace organisations. Russell

[mbs] I wouldn't presume how to tell anyone how to organize unions. I do try to support the idea of trade unionism. But it's striking that your list seems to take trade unionism as a reasonable measure to deal with everything that isn't race, women's rights, & foreign policy. But unionism in and of itself is only a limited start on seeing the working class stake in economic policy in the large.

mbs