comuter babble

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Dec 28 07:12:25 PST 1999

. . . That's enough computer babble. Say, Max, if you're reading this, how did the move to linex go? You announced a couple of months ago you were going to try it out. Let's hear how it went or didn't (off-list if you want.) Chuck Grimes

I bought a new package for $30 or so because it included Word Perfect ('lite'), Star office, and a full Linux plate. The box was labeled 'Mandrake' distribution. When I looked a little closer I saw it was published by Macmillan and I would be entitled to no tech support from Mandrake, only from Macmillan.

Anyway, I installed it a couple of times but haven't had time to fix a few basic problems, such as I haven't been able to change the screen resolution to 800 x 600, I have no sound, and I have no network. Also I have no printer, but that's because I discovered my HP 722C, unlike most other printers in the universe, is Windows only. May be no fix for that and I'll have to use my older Canon, which should work. (Haven't tried it yet.)

The GUI(s) works (in 480 x 600) but seems slow, in light of the possibility that Linux would use the machine resources more efficiently. Seems a little slower than w98.

The install routines still have a ways to go before they are easy enough for the total rube user. Too many contingencies are not anticipated in the program or documentation.

So progress is glacial. I least I have it installed and working on a rudimentary level.

mbs