Kant, Christianity, and Free Will

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 28 08:35:19 PST 1999

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:18:52 -0500 Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> CB: Yes, agreed, and what about whose interests were served by portraying
Eve, a woman , as causing a fall , instead of a rise. Why the interests of patriarchy, of course. Now correct my history, but didn't patriarchy go all of the way back to Abraham , in 1900 BC, way before the Roman Empire and Christianity ?

There is a counter-reading / re-interpretation of the Adam and Eve story by Phyllis Trible, God and the Rhetoric of Sexuality. Her interpretation doesn't hold much water historically, but she does point out that Eve wasn't present when the commands were given to Adam (I'd have to check this to be certain). There is also a good critique of patriarchy by Pamela Milne in the Journal for Feminist Studies in Religion, Spring, 1989, "The Patriarchal Stamp of Scripture."

ken