Newitz on racist use of White Trash

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 28 12:24:58 PST 1999

[Annalee Newitz responds to Michael Pugliese's comments.]

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:13:15 -0600 From: Annalee Newitz <annalee at gettingit.com>

Doug Henwood wrote:

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>Did

>Matt Wray and Jewelle Newitz, (using my memory here) of the Bad Subjects

>crew at Cal Berkeley who wrote a book on "White Trash" culture

Your memory is partly correct: it's Annalee Newitz, and they edited

the volume, which includes a chapter by me, called "Trash-o-nomics."

> think that

>work like theirs and this stuff from U.VA. could be used by folks whose

>racial politics are shall we say not exactly progressive.

I'm sure they didn't, but I'm cc'ing Annalee if she wants to answer.

Thanks, Doug. I don't have much to say on this point, other than that I'm tired of hearing people ascribe meanings to a book they haven't read. Sure, our work *could* be used by racists, but judging from the number of angry e-mails I've received from white supremacists since publishing the book, I'm guessing that they've chosen not to.

Annalee - - - Annalee Newitz - Senior Editor GettingIt <http://www.gettingit.com> annalee at gettingit.com - 415.956.1117