Freud & Psychoanalysis was Re: The death...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 28 20:19:03 PST 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

>The last line of my post, the line Doug quoted, was one of those
>throwaway lines that in published text gets edited out and in
>conversation gets cancelled with a hand wave.

To quote Bryan Ferry, throwaway lines often ring true.

Of course, Carrol, I can't resist the temptation of zeroing in on the very line you now disavow. The editing out or erasing handwave suggests conflict. As my old guru Harold Bloom once said, the question the critic should always ask is "what is being freshly repressed?" So what are you repressing here, freshly or not?

Doug