Schell on Seattle

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Wed Dec 29 10:26:47 PST 1999

[Where's Washington Irving when you really need him?--jsc]

Full article at: http://archives.seattletimes.com/cgi-bin/texis.mummy/web/vortex/display?stor

yID=3865e72f5c&query=WTO+hearings

Title of the article: "Seattle mayor dismisses dark times trusting his legacy will be positive"

"His message: I'm a mayor who gets things done."

"I'm feeling stronger than ever," Schell said last week. "I went through a period (during the WTO) of not much sleep and not much food. But more importantly, we are not going to lose sight of the things that built this city . . . there is a lot we have done, a lot we can do, and, I think, a lot that we will do."

"People were having tea and crumpets or having dinner and lunch, doing their work three blocks away from the eight or nine blocks that were affected and didn't notice anything other than the traffic was a lot lighter," he said. "In most of our city, this was a television event that happened to be hometown. While they felt it, it was not their lives."

Schell also said he wasn't impressed by the 19 hours of emotional and often angry testimony before the City Council two weeks ago, saying the Direct

Action Network, which was responsible for much of the non-violent protesting, organized most of the speakers.

"Once you heard an hour of it, you heard it all," said Schell, who watched part of the hearings on TV."