Greater democracy can cushion fiscal chaos Amartya Sen

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Wed Dec 29 16:41:36 PST 1999

DEC 28 1999 The Economic Times Online Greater democracy can cushion fiscal chaos: Amartya Sen David Brunnstrom BANGKOK 27 DECEMBER NOBEL Prize winning economist Amartya Sen says there is every indication that Asia is pulling out of its economic crisis and greater democracy would help cushion the effects of future financial upsets. The ’98 laureate said in an interview in Bangkok, where the crisis began two years ago, that one of its positive effects had been democratic progress in several countries. "I think people have learned something from that,” he said. "The fact the democracy movement became stronger in South Korea and moved dramatically in that direction in Indonesia and became stronger in Thailand too, I think are positive aspects. "The crisis had the effect of bringing out the weakness of the previous argument that democracy was not needed in Asia — that it's against Asian values and it's not needed anyway. "I think that argument has been currently busted because when the crisis came, the poor in South Korea and Indonesia did need the voice they didn't have.” The Asian meltdown had forced countries to implement reforms to improve financial transparency and accountability and these efforts had borne fruit, he said. "As far as the crisis itself is concerned, I think there is every evidence that the entire region is pulling out of it now. But that doesn't mean a crisis of this kind cannot come again in a few years time.” Mr Sen is the first Asian to win the Nobel prize for economics. He is master of Trinity College Cambridge and a professor emeritus at Harvard. "One must not fight the past war but look at the future war and for that one has to see the ways this crisis could come and how it could be prevented,” he said. "My belief is democracy and greater practice of democracy will have a very positive part to play.” Asked if he thought recovery might have come too soon for reforms to take proper root, a concern expressed by some economists, he replied: "I don't think it came too soon. Even in the old business cycles in the West, if you go down for a year or two you would expect by the third year to turn

around.” Asked what could precipitate a future crisis and what form it could take, he said: "I don't know that. You see that's the real danger, that people always tend to imagine the next crisis will be very much like the last one. I just don't know and I don't think anyone really knows that.” One reason the crisis in East Asia had been so severe was warning signs had been ignored. "Unfortunately, people didn't react when there were straws in the wind and sometimes they didn't even react when there were trees in the wind,” he said. A key problem now facing the region was securing a fair deal in the new round of world trade talks, Sen said. "I think the unequal power of the US is something worth worrying about. You need fairer trade conditions. You don't want asymmetry where the US could have a lot of restrictions of one kind or another — agricultural commodities for example — when other countries are not allowed to have that.” Smaller countries should follow the examples of trade unions standing up to a powerful employer, he said. "You need a united voice of the smaller countries put together.” He said he believed this month's protests against US policy at the World Trade Organisation conference in Seattle had helped wake up Washington to global concerns. "Even the biggest countries, including US, have been put on alert that people would like to see justice of international relations discussed more.” — Reuters For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service Disclaimer