Capital Productivity

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Wed Dec 29 18:07:11 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

And second, and not unrelatedly, capital
> equipment is fundamentally the embodiment of human labor - what is
> the machine's productivity but all the physical and mental labor went
> into it?

Yes, exactly, from which it would follow that owning capital would not be a productive activity.

Doug Henwood wrote:

As my old guru Harold Bloom once said, the
> question the critic should always ask is "what is being freshly
> repressed?" So what are you repressing here, freshly or not?

Speaking of Harold Bloom, he was on the CBC a few weeks ago, hyperventilating about the "canon". He did make some good points though, like literature students nowadays read more theory and criticism than they do literature.

Sam Pawlett