Capital Productivity

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 08:22:33 PST 1999

In message <v04220812b49011e6b4e6@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes

> And second, and not unrelatedly, capital
>equipment is fundamentally the embodiment of human labor - what is
>the machine's productivity but all the physical and mental labor went
>into it?

It depends what you mean by capital, I guess.

If you mean instruments of labour, then clearly these are productive of useful objects, though they create no new value.

If you mean the social relationship that makes instruments of labour into a certificated share in the product, then plainly, that's not productive at all.

-- Jim heartfield