Must capitalism be racist?

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 21:24:51 PST 1999

<< Justin says that Roemer has been able to show how capitalists

as individuals are able to benefit from the divide-and-conquer

consequences of racism (and sexism), so how does Roemer

show this to be the case and does he show that there are

no benefits to capitalists on an individual basis if they as

game theorists say "defect" - in this case defecting meaning

ceasing to discriminate against a disfavored group? >>

I can't recall how the argument goes. But the key to it is that it's not susceptible to the prisoner's dilemm because it's not a cse where there is an individual interest in equal treatment opposed toa group interest in disparate treatment. Roemer's theorem purported to show that capitalists have an individual interest in disparate treatment. You'll have to look it up: I have misplaced the paper.

--Justin