Marino May Face Last Game

Emilio Costa Manso sadox at uol.com.br
Fri Dec 31 03:47:22 PST 1999

####################

Marino May Face Last Game ---------------------------

Washington Redskins coach Norv Turner remembers well the first time he coached against Dan Marino.

Turner was an assistant with the Los Angeles Rams in 1986 when Marino threw for 403 yards and five touchdowns to help the Miami Dolphins win 37-31 in overtime.

"He hit the game-winning touchdown pass, one of his many,'' Turner said Wednesday. "He put on an unbelievable show.''

And how does the Marino of today compare?

"Well,'' Turner said with a chuckle, "that was a long time ago.''

Marino would surely agree. At 38, he's preparing for perhaps the final game of his 17-year career Sunday against the Redskins.

Aside from that, the game appears meaningless for Miami (9-6). Regardless of whether the Dolphins win or lose, they'll make the playoffs if Seattle or Kansas City loses Sunday.

If Seattle and Kansas City win, Miami's season is over.

"You don't see this situation very often in this league,'' Marino said. "It's a little strange. Hopefully things will work out for us.''

Marino offers no hint as to whether he'll retire after the season, but his recent play suggests it may be time. In five games since returning from a neck injury that sapped his arm strength, he has thrown 11 interceptions and led Miami to just one win.

"I've struggled a little bit coming back from that,'' he said.

That's as close as Marino comes to acknowledging that he may no longer be up to the job. He said he feels fines and remains confident in his skills, but his quarterback rating of 69.1 is by far the lowest of his career.

Too often Marino looks flustered and his arm looks tired, a combination that produces bad decisions and ugly passes. He threw for three touchdowns Monday night in a 38-31 loss to the New York Jets, but he also threw two costly interceptions, and four potential interceptions were dropped. In the fourth quarter, when Miami needed a comeback, he went 6-for-19.

"There are times he looks like the Dan of always,'' said Redskins receiver Irving Fryar, once Marino's favorite target in Miami. "And there are times he looks like he does struggle.''

Jimmy Johnson, whose criticism of Marino earlier this season triggered a fan backlash against the coach, now chooses his words carefully when asked about his quarterback.

"Dan has been inconsistent since he has come back off the injury,'' Johnson said. "That was to be expected. He did some outstanding things Monday, and obviously we're disappointed with some of the play.''

Johnson's own future is in question, and his decision regarding retirement may influence what Marino does. Given their clashes, it's considered unlikely both will be back with the Dolphins in 2000.

"I'm not thinking about next season right now,'' Marino said. "We've got a chance to get in the playoffs, and I think that's more important than all this other talk.''

Marino has always preferred to focus on the next game -- even if it's meaningless.