Tax breaks and WTO

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 31 09:25:40 PST 1999

There are cases where tax credits can result in net negative rates of taxation, and thus can turn investments with zero or negative returns into positive ones. Some 1981 tax changes created situations like this, though these were subsequently reversed.

But this could all be academic if taxation of corporations at source (i.e., the U.s. corporate income tax) is junked altogether and replaced with the VAT.

The VAT is entirely "GATT-legal." It is widely held to be regressive. It is also said to imply a zero rate of tax on capital, since all investment is deductible in the year of expenditure.

I have a paper arguing against the conventional view, but unfortunately it's buried in another, much longer paper. Needs radical editorial surgery.

mbs

If this is the case regarding the foreign sales corporations, the amount is much bigger than 2.5billion$

Ian