Marc Cooper responds

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 1 08:35:59 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> An excellent post! The only qualification I would add is that means-tested
> govt. social programs have been also run as if they were private charities,
> even before the 'welfare reform.'
>
> As far as I know, never in the history of US welfare programs has everyone
> who is legally entitled to assistance received it, and not simply because
> of technical mistakes on the part of social workers. In fact, the gap
> (between entitlement and actual delivery of assistance/service) grew bigger
> in the era of working-class acquiescence, and it became narrower when
> social movements were on their upsurge. I wish folks had publicized this
> fact more when we still had a slim chance to save AFDC: welfare programs
> have always been severely underused.

Yoshie,

Point well taken and I agree wholeheartedly. Do you know of any books or research done on this aspect of public welfare?

I've tried to promote the idea of local oversight boards that would be composed of those on these programs as well as other members of a community to hold government agencies accountable. To my knowledge, nothing like this exists, but we do need some watchdogs with the power to intervene with unfair bureaucracy practices and to make people aware of what their rights are.

Marta