Marc Cooper responds

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 1 14:21:15 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Local oversight boards might be useful, especially for those who are
> already on the recipient lists. But what of people who are entitled to help
> but have not received it, because they don't know that it exists, or
> because there are too many obstacles that discourage applications, etc.?

Thanks for the reading suggestions. I would see a function of the oversight board being community outreach in as many forms as possible to make people aware of government programs and to set up some advocate organization to assist with getting services. For example, the Protection and Advocacy organizations both assist with disability program access (thought probably not nearly enough because of lack of funding these days), and will take the state on when state decisions are in conflict with a person's right to services. It also does some monitoring of these awful institutions and I think P & A can file class action lawsuits to get better services though this may have to be done by Legal Aid.

I realize that oversight boards can become as corrupt as anything else, but at least with government there is some public arena to contest wrongful actions. I watched a guy with Muscular Dystrophy try to get a power wheelchair out of the Jerry Lewis group, M.D.A. and all he could do was beg because M.D.A. had recourse to make any decision they liked. John Nunzer died without his wheelchair. Government at least has avenues open to get some justice with enough public pressure.

The welfare state was constructed brick by brick (as David Stockman told us) not only by Democrats but by Republicans manipulating the process. It is certainly flawed as the outcome of capitalist perogatives but sometimes we do manage to get improvement. The children's SSI program was expanded by the Zebley case which directed Social Security to evaluate each individual seperately to determine if more than one disability factored into qualifying as "disabled." Some disabilities were not on the official lists, so this opened up the rigid rules. The court also ordered to the government to conduct outreach to populations who had been underserved. The SSI rolls did grow after the decision due both to both factors. The court decision countered the Reagan era move to restrict access to SSI. But then come Huffington, Sam Donaldson, Newt and the gang to accuse the program of widespread fraud and abuse. You know the rest, the welfare "reform" legislation, along with ending poor women's entiitlement to aid, cut back access to SSI for immigrants and children.

Marta