Oversight boards

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:06:45 PST 1999

Marta type:

> Thanks for the reading suggestions. I would see a function of the oversight board being community outreach in as many forms as possible to make people aware of government programs and to set up some advocate organization to assist with getting services. For example, the Protection and Advocacy organizations both assist with disability program access (thought probably not nearly enough because of lack of funding these days), and will take the state on when state decisions are in conflict with a person's right to services. It also does some monitoring of these awful institutions and I think P & A can file class action lawsuits to get better services though this may have to be done by Legal Aid.

One suggestion if you seriously decide to campaign for oversight boards. Assuming these are paid positions, instead of having the boards elected or appointed why not have some sort of random selection process from the community?

-- Gar W. Lipow 815 Dundee RD NW Olympia, WA 98502 http://www.freetrain.org/