Cop Shows & Althusser's Law (was Re: surplus and other stuff)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Tue Feb 2 14:50:13 PST 1999

> Law & Order is a bit schizophrenic at times.
> As to the ideology, as I said, it's mixed
> The DA loses often enough and the law is realistic, and sometimes the
> tone even allows the viewer to side with the defense attorney.
> Eric

above is kind of show where, whenever there is a socially sensitive trial, casting is carefully arranged so that white men are not to be viewed as oppressing minorities or women...prosecutor or judge will be woman or minority...a commendable effort at breaking down stereotypes? ok, but flipside is that sermons about 'law and order' are given by people who are often the object of oppression... Michael Hoover