lbo-talk-digest V1 #932

Paul Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Wed Feb 3 08:34:36 PST 1999

>the equivalent of a low-level war," the NY Times reports today. Seems we're
>back on the old escalator. Too bad the USS Maddox and C. Turner Joy are
>out of service and not cruising near Iraq -- it would *really* be like
>old times again.
>Carl Remick

Ahhh.... one of the great euphemisms of our time re-surfaces the 'low-level war'. Presumably this means 'low level' death, destruction and injury for those involved as well. What's it going to be this time? Full out conflagration (not likely, things are going too well for capital back home) or just bomb the crap out of a few people, incite the Kurds again, then leave them high and dry? Anyone up for equating 'low level war' with 'ethnic cleansing'?

"Join the air force. Fly in fast planes to far off places, look down on different and interesting people then drop bombs on them"

PC

Paul Childs, Senior Health Economist e-mail: This address or: NPC at amda.ab.ca (Health Policy and Economics) Alberta Medical Association 12230-106 Avenue NW Edmonton, Alberta, T5N 3Z1 ICQ: 15381399 V:(780) 482-2626 F:(780) 482-5445

" If I wanted a lecture about money I coulda waited till Sunday and stolen

from the collection plate again" - Duckman