Signs Taken for Wonders (was Re: Lesbian 'Phallus'...)

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Feb 3 13:31:10 PST 1999

Yoshie is right-on here; I so take this bit of history for granted that what I wrote earlier totally overlooks it. knowing those struggles over lesbian relationship to masculinity is totally crucial to understanding the specific context of "the Lesbian Phallus." I would add that, though I wasn't "there" either in the butch/femme- oppressing 1970s (I'm also too young, most of my info also comes from Susie Bright, Joan Nestle, Alice Echols and other chroniclers of the era), and clearly all these issues are viewed quite differently in the 90s, these narratives over gender and how much bending (and, though the phrase itself is a mostly unused dinosaur, "male-identification") is OK are still played out quite a bit within individual lesbian communities...in my experience and observation anyhow.

But I do think the phrase Lesbian Phallus, by evoking all these specific negotiations as it does for anyone in the know, means to use them as metaphor; part of what's so engrossing about heated debates over dildos, whether transsexuals should be able to go to womyn's musuc festivals, etc. -- aside from their not-to-be-underestimated camp value and the undeniable fact that we all love a good catfight ("Catfight", incidentally, is the name of a film I once saw about the feminist sex wars, it's interspliced with footage of the classic "catfight" scene in porno films) -- is the larger difficulties they raise about *everyone's* identity, and how slippery it is. race, class, nationality or that poor wobbly modernist "self"...that specific history that Yoshie's pointing out is what makes the lesbian phallus riff all the more powerful as a commentary on all categories of identity.

Liza