Charles Murray

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Wed Feb 3 16:55:08 PST 1999

Curtis wrote:

> Also: I remember a note in _Scientific American_ a few years back that
> chased through _Bell Curves_ citations, and found that they
> misrepresented the papers and studies cited -- or if Murray and
> what's-his-name didn't, the secondary source they used did. Does this
> ring a bell with anybody else?
>
> --
> Curtiss

Indeed it does.

Scientific American Debunks THE BELL CURVE: INTELLIGENCE AND CLASS STRUCTURE IN AMERICAN LIFE

By Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray. Free Press, 1994 ($30).

By LEON J. KAMIN -- professor of psychology at Northeastern University in Boston.

appeared in SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN February 1995 Volume 272 Number 2 Pages 99-103

A copy can be found at:

http://www.panix.com/~mbowen/rm/sciam1.htm

as part of the Race Man's Debunker website (http://www.panix.com/~mbowen/rm/debunk/) which has a whole section on the Bell Curve.

A more extensive version was published in "The Bell Curve Debate," edited by Russell Jacoby and Naomi Glauberman.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"