Sadie Plant (Re: postmodernism and neoclassical economics

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 17:43:07 PST 1999

In message <00b901be4fb1$9f37ea00$1faef783 at compaq>, Frances Bolton <fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu> writes
>Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Sadie Plant? I found Ones and
>Zeroes to be a deeply irritating and nonsensical book. I wanted to like it,
>really. I still do. Is her other cybergrrrl stuff better?

Anyone in England on the weekend of 6 & 7 March can hear Sadie Plant speak on 'Is the book Dead' and yours truly talking to Paul Gross and Norman Levitt at the 'Culture Wars' conference.

Other details:

CULTURE WARS

>From Friday 5 March to Sunday 7 March, LM magazine and Riverside Studios
in association with Waterstone's are hosting an international conference called 'Culture Wars: Dumbing Down, Wising Up?'.

The conference will consider the 'dumbing down' debate in different cultural and academic fields, and promises to be an important benchmark in the discussion of modern culture and ideas.

Speakers include:

John Mortimer, author Charles Rosen, American pianist Maxwell L Anderson, director, Whitney Museum of American Art John Simpson, BBC world affairs editor John Humphrys, Radio 4 John Tusa, director, Barbican Centre Melvyn Bragg, South Bank Show Kate Adie, BBC Newsgathering David Lloyd, head of news and current affairs, Channel 4 Professor Norman Levitt Professor Paul Gross David Starkey, commentator and historian Peter Hewitt, chief executive, Arts Council Mick Hume, editor, LM Roger Wright, controller, Radio 3 Frank Furedi, sociologist, University of Kent Melanie Phillips, Sunday Times and many more

There will be discussions and debates on 'What's wrong with cultural elitism?'; 'Big truths, small truths'; 'Empire of the emotions'; 'The tyranny of relevance'; 'Have we lost our nerve?'; 'The new news'; 'Where's the foreign coverage?'; 'New art for Cool Britannia'; 'Is classical music dead?'; 'Modernising Shakespeare'; 'The idea of the university'; 'Interpreting museums'; 'Victim-friendly justice', and much more.

For more information about speakers and sessions visit http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/discuss/events/conferences.html

To avoid disappointment, book your tickets now. A conference pass costs £57 or £45 (concession). A day pass costs £25 or £20 (concession). Tickets for individual sessions cost £7 or £5 (concession).

Phone the Riverside box office on (0181) 237 1111 and make cheques payable to: Riverside Trust. -- Jim heartfield