Cop Shows & Althusser's Law (was Re: surplusandotherstuff)

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Wed Feb 3 11:02:21 PST 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>

I know I turn because that motherfucker has a gun on her hip, not because I like Cagne and Lacey. The LA riot also indicates that a lot of working class people, white, brown and black, don't buy that tv cop stuff, but get the point of the night stick.

hi charles,

a comment on the above, which i kind of the gist of the cop show discussion in the context of the chp of butler's.

i'm not sure that discussing this stuff in terms of cop shows has been useful. it's been interesting, but confuses a little the discussion of the butler chapter. maybe another example: have you ever responded to something someone has said, a kind of 'some people.....' or 'this guy......' statement with hostility, anxiety, mild or otherwise, in the belief that they were talking about you? that strikes me as one instance of feeling hailed through guilt, and a more clear instance where it is guilt that makes you feel hailed than if you were named outright. you feel named because you already feel guilt. how does butler complicate this or understand this, would be my next question.

i'm also looking to see also if butler talks about hysteria, the failure of interpellation. anyone know?

and, charles, did you really like cagney and lacey?