sloth

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 4 21:05:24 PST 1999

I'll stop with this toxic crap soon, I promise. But I was just paging through the repellent Independent Women's Forum newsletter, Ex Femina. (The IWF is a group of professional anti-feminist women that was founded to defend Clarence Thomas.) In it, Midge Decter is quoted as saying: "The other way to the public heart is to provide us with excuses for our failings. That is Bill Clinton. He is the true embodiment of the state of our culture. His being in the White House provides the electorate with a blanket forgiveness for their own moral and cultural sloth."

As someone pointed out somewhere, ravers like this used to denounce the immoralism of the pointy-heads and embrace the moral wisdom of The People. Now that it's clear that The People can't stand their moralizing, it's proof that The People are corrupt.

Doug