Eric Beck & Paula on Cop Shows

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 5 05:33:59 PST 1999

Sorry to bug the list with this, but Eric mailed me and i can't seem to reply back. I keep getting my reply bounced back to me. Eric are you being opaque, reflecting me back to me repeatedly? Punishing me for the opacity and mirrors post? Ah well, anyway, Eric if you're out there anywhere let's see if we can try this again, as I must master this and know WHY this is happening.

Kelley

Also Paul maintained:
>But, then, the fact that it was there, but subtle enough that you missed
>it -- that's just another indication of the quality of the show.

Precisely. This is what I mean when I say that there are gaps and fissures to be found when you operate with a notion of power as hegemony rather than the top-down operations of power as ideology. Spaces are opened up for different interpretations. A good example of how this works is examined in The Celluloid Closet which is gen'ly at your local block buster. The film examines how people read queer subtexts into flicks that ostensibly didn't have any such intention. Whether this indicates quality, well Paul hmmmm....I just dunno. I guess I agree with Paula in so far as I often feel preached at by SW. But, on the other hand, sometimes I feel that they're doing this on purpose and giving everyone a nudge in the process. Dunno.