Low Wage Pay Gains

Fri Feb 5 19:07:07 PST 1999

> A sustained sub-5% unemployment rate and a
>significant hike in the minimum wage are the main reasons

Doug, I don't think the first is the reason as much as the thing that itself needs to be explained. (As for the min wage hike, I understood it to be part and parcel of welfare reform, i.e., in order to force people to work the min wage simply had to be increased minimally while welfare was cut back.)

At any rate, as the WSJ quotes some expert today, the US boom is not inspite of but because of the world wide slump: speculative capital flight is driving overconsumptionism from equity inflation; credit terms are eased, resulting in debt driven investment (in 1998, US absorbed more than 4x the foreign capital it did 1994); commodity prices are depressed, boosting profitability. Moreover the stock market has been driven higher by centralisations and buy backs and other acts of financial sabotage. There is no inherent strength to the US economy; it's a bubble economy that was only blown bigger by Big Al's last rate cuts. But most importantly from a Marxian point of view, that is from the pt of view of the global proletariat, the capitalist system has entered a general crisis in which no *general* advancement is possible.

At any rate, about this Murray thing, I guess what I am saying is that the book is a failed scientific project: it does not show that g accounts for much of the inequality in income; it does not rigourously prove that inherited cognitive ability is more important than SES in accounting for social outcomes; it does not prove that g is anything more than a statistical artefact; it does not provide a careful refutation of those geneticists and biologists who think there is no where sufficient evidence to claim as even plausible deep racial differences in cogntive ability (and we have a right to maintain a very high burden of proof in this area).

The point of the book is simply to counsel equanimity in the face of ever higher levels of unemployment and eviseration of the Keynesian welfare state. The point of Murray's editorial is that his mightly AEI supporters still need him and his racism and will need him even more in the next recession, i.e., some sort of ideological defense against mass unemployment, now only hidden by ever higher incarceration rates. Murray is not going away because unemployment, recessions, the Democrats and the Republicans and capitalism are not going away. The only thing about to disappear is the American oasis.

rakesh