What Is Deconstruction/Post-Structuralism?

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 6 07:28:42 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> What is the shortest and plainest possible way to explain what 'deconstruction' (or post-structuralism in general) is (to marxists)? A left-Hegelian dialectics without sublation. The interpenetration of opposites, but no third term to sublate the opposition. Why left-Hegelian, instead of historical materialist? Because the primary categories of oppositions are idealist ones: the Subject and the Law. Marx's theses on Feuerbach apply to deconstructors/post-structuralists as well:

Marx gives us the second time as farce -- but what about the fifth, sixth, nth time? As far as I can tell so far both from my own slight reading of Butler and from the posts on her, what she offers us is sort of a slightly more sophisticated version of Count Alfred Korzybski's *Science and Sanity*, and Kenneth Burke's critique of Korzybski applies, without much addition or revision, to Butler.

Carrol