What Is Deconstruction/Post-Structuralism?

Chuck Miller cmiller at Kemtah.com
Sat Feb 6 14:55:05 PST 1999

To all who condemn deconstruction, without (mostly) having read primary texts:

Just as there are several flavors of Marxism, so there are flavors of pomos. My own admiration for them comes mostly from Derrida's latest work... I have read Marx and major interpreters like Lukacs... But I am no Marx _expert_. Derrida's reading gives the hope that this expression is ultimately meaningless for a true Marxism. When Marx becomes academic, then Marxism is dead.

The appeal of Derrida's reading of Marx and Marxism is that it promises a practical application of radical critique--radical and total critique. Not only of the prevailing status quo and ideology but also of one's own dogmatic presuppositions.

At the same time, Derrida works at the systemic level and simultaneously allows the retention of the category of the individual, without denuding the latter of any meaning.

cdm