Low Wage Pay Gains

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 6 22:28:29 PST 1999

We will do well not to overestimate the weakness of American financial prowess. The daily turnover of foreign exchange trading in world markets, mostly in London and New York, exceeds US$1.5 trillion, not counting derivatives, forwards and futures. The trade is mostly dollar based. One of the reason Japan, despite its preeminent creditor status, is not really a 800 lb gorilla, is that it cannot sell its US Treasuries holdings without paying more penalty than America. Also, a point often overlooked, is that because of the exclusive role of the US dollar as basic currency in world trade and finance, the Fed together with the Treasury, has enormous power in setting interest rate globally. The Fed may not have to raise US rates to defend the dollar. It has the option of pushing down non-US rates selectively by buying or selling foreign currency.

The problem with the euro is that it is now an alternative currency only in concept. There are not enough euros to really threaten the US dollar. Any central banker who will put his reserves in equal distribution between euros, yens and dollars will not hold his job by the end of the week. Same with corporate CFOs.

The size advantage of the dollar market is going to be around for at least a decade, and maybe for the foreseeable future.

Henry