cop shows, postmodernism and all that

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sun Feb 7 08:37:16 PST 1999

Dear Steve,

If recall correctly, five or six years ago you wrote a ground-breaking story in the Nation about the Living Wage Campaign in Minnesota. It was a nuts and bolts story about political action directed at achieving equity for employees of businesses receiving government money. It registered you in my mind as an astute observer of city politics.

My basic critique of cop shows is that they are conditioning people to expect violent responses from the police---and by the same token are conditioning the police to respond violently to situations.

At one time in most northern cities that I know of, and in all probability down south too, the ward chairman either picked the police or had a hand in picking the police that would be stationed in their ward. Today, because of all the so-called reforms, the ward chairman in most cities can't even get a parking ticket fixed. You have no local control of the police anymore and the average person has no one to turn to if he or she has a problem with the police. So much, for all these reforms like psychological testing, police academies, sensitivity training---I'll bet that the 4 cops who went nuts in NYC this weekend had been through the whole gambit of all these reforms.

Some will say there should be civilian review boards and other fancy sounding things. Yeah sure, miss a day or days of work so you can go down and fill out papers and complain to people you'll never see again. It's not like walking over to the ward chairmans or local committeeman's place after dinner to tell him what happened.

Hey Doug, how about the skinny on the ward politics where the street vendor was gunned down by the police on Friday.

Your email pal,

Tom L.