Lesser Evilism (Re: Rule of Law 101 (Re: Hitchens Turns GOP stool pigeon)

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Sun Feb 7 05:44:19 PST 1999

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:04:30 -0500 "Nathan Newman" <nathan.newman at yale.edu> writes:

>I don't defend Clinton. He'll burn in hell for signing welfare reform
and
>he has his political betrayals all over the place. But I also recognize
>that his enemies are far worse

But are they really? Clinton has served the Republicans remarkably well.

He's done things that no Republican president could've gotten away with.

Would the AFL-CIO have stood still for NAFTA had George Bush been president when it was enacted? Would Gloria Steinem have offered such a weaselly defense of welfare reform if Bush had been the one to push it through?

With Clinton, even the lesser evil argument doesn't hold up.

Not that I'm defending Hitchens. I really don't know enough about the situation to make a judgement. One positive outcome of this might be that you'll see Hitchens' names splashed all over the mainstream media. All of the Babbitry out here in podunkville will want to know who this Hitchens fellow is. Sales of For The Sake of Argument will skyrocket!
:-)

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]