Check-out time

rayrena rayrena at accesshub.net
Sun Feb 7 14:13:43 PST 1999

Two items from the How Long Was I Asleep Dep't:

1. I've caught two references to Elia Kazan's treachery in recent posts. Never heard this before. What is this about? Can someone explain it to me or point me to where I might find out about it? If true, I find it very disapointing as "On the Waterfront" is one of my favorite films, the symbolism of which I always assumed was aimed at the cowards who were afraid challenge the blacklisters.

2. The other night, while cooking dinner, I heard a pundit on one of those chatter-shows say something interesting: He was talking about the budget surplus we were going to have in the next fifteen years. He intimated that maybe we were counting our chickens: You can never tell what the economy is going to do and fifteen-year predictions may not be accurate. Huh? Maybe he was being ironic. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the dire Social Security situation based on like a 50- or 75-year projection? How come one set of projections is Gospel but another set is wild speculation? Not one other person on the show batted an eye at this guy's statement.

Eric Beck