Fwd: BOUNCE lbo-talk at lists.panix.com: Non-member submission from [Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 7 18:07:17 PST 1999

[what's with your addy, Carrol?]

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:30:32 -0600 From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re Nussbaum Re: New Republic Article dig at Butler References: <Pine.NEB.4.05.9902070707590.22850-100000 at panix7.panix.com> <36BE1723.C6EFE6A8 at uniserve.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Michael Pollak wrote: . "Matha Nussbaum is a philosopher whose approach is old-fashioned even by establishment standards."

She testified in court in favor of those who were defending homosexual writes, claiming as an expert that homosexuality had been regarded as natural in the ancient world. (See the article in Lingua Franca a few years ago.) Her book *The Therapy of Desire: Theory and Practice in Hellenistic Ethics* is a very fine book, though I disagree with her on the question of the adequacy of the the epicurean arguments on death. They held that since the dead had no interests, death was not a threat to the individual. Aliter: When we're dead we don't know we're dead, so it's no hassle. She disagrees, but she gives a very fair and comprehensive account of the position she attacks.

Carrol