Marx and Justice

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Feb 8 05:49:04 PST 1999

I am not sure that I would agree with Allen Wood's contention that Marx didn't regard capitalism as unjust even by the criteria of bourgeois justice. It seems to me that Marx argued just the opposite of Wood's thesis in writings like The Communist Manifesto. Marx IMO certainly regarded notions of justice as being conditioned by the prevailing mode of production but one aspect of the contradictions of capitalism is that capitalism violates even bourgeois norms of justice when it exploits labor. On the other hand Wood is correct IMO in asserting that Marx regarded judicial concepts like justice and rights as constituting an inadequate basis for a full critique of capitalism, a position he made clear in his Critique of the Gotha Program where he criticized the Social Democrats for relying too much on the language of justice and rights. Sam (and Wood) are correct IMO in arguing that this inadequacy is rooted in the fact that law and rights are a part of the superstructure. Wood on the other hand seems incorrect in asserting that communism will simply have a new conception of justice that corresponds to its mode of production. I think Marx is rather clear that there is a sense in which communism will be a society beyond justice as such because the concept of justice presupposes scarcity whereas under communism scarcity as such will be transcended.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]