Butler (Re: cop shows, postmodernism and all that

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Feb 8 09:13:35 PST 1999

Re: "What's up with this 'oh but is it good for the left?' litmus test, anyway?"

Frances, what's the purpose of this list? Last time I looked, "LBO" stood for *Left* Business Observer. I don't see any purpose for a discussion group like this -- as heterogeneous in its makeup as it is -- other than as a means to crystalize messages that, ultimately, might command sympathy, respect and support from people at large. Let's say Butler's fans are right, that she is the most incisive, subtle thinker of the age. I would *still* think that discussing her is a waste of time. Despite repeated challenges, no one here has offered a precis of her thought or even been able to paraphrase and summarize excerpts from her writing.

Butler is a dead end so far as political activism goes. Frances, you yourself just posted: "Today's activists don't have stories that are as glamorous, or as historically important, as those of activists who were active in the 60s. There is simply nothing like that going on, at least in the States."

There is a *reason* there's "nothing going on in the States" so far as a vibrant left is concerned. Infatuation with pointless pedants like Judith Butler accounts for a lot of that.

Carl Remick