Willey and Starr's Harassment of Steele (Re: Rule of Law 101

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Feb 8 09:25:37 PST 1999

I don't have time to wade into this -- little thing called the Federal budget is diverting me -- but for what it's worth I think Nathan is mostly right here and his detractors mostly wrong.

I posted this to say that defense of clinton, which Nathan is being pestered with, has nothing what-so-ever to do with the issue, in my view. The new budget is more conservative than anything Ronald Reagan even dreamed about, so I would count myself as second to none in anti-clintonism.

I don't even disagree that the departure of Clinton from office per se would be much of a setback for anyone. But it seems to me that forced removal under the pressure of the machinations of the G.O.P. is a world removed from an outcome where Clinton's guilt was investigated and assessed in any kind of neutral manner.

The real issue is tyranny of a legislative majority (not backed, incidentally, by even an electoral majority), acting thru Special Persecutor K. Starr.

Whatever relative shades of victimization and bimbo-ismo can be ascribed to Willey, Monica, et al. is regrettable but secondary. In war there are casualties, first among them the luxury of moral absolutism.

mbs