Clintonism, Monicagate and the budget

Picciotto, Sol s.picciotto at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 11:58:25 PST 1999

I hope I'm not intruding, but it seems to me that the various posts on different aspects of these threads all weave around the central point. That is, that various far-right interests have used Starr and Monicagate to ensure the Clinton administration gets totally bogged down and has no prospect of doing anything even remotely reformist. So the only response is to try to focus on substantive politics. From that point of view, why was Hitchens even bothering to get involved in giving 'evidence', but even more, why do we waste time discussing whether he was right to do so?

We have the same problem over here, politicians and personalities only get in the news for some scandal, and there is no coverage for any serious issues. For days the lead item on the news has been the sacking of the England soccer coach, and even that was not done over whether he is a good coach, but because of a stupid and offensive remark he made about reincarnation.

I'd like to hear more on this list about the Clinton budget, and what a really progressive solution for welfare would look like

cheers

sol