Mindspring censorship; abortion

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Feb 8 14:57:19 PST 1999

Re Doug's: "We've got a PR professional here who can tell us just how it's done - right, Carl?"

I've sounded off excessively already today (in fact, I still have one post floating out there somewhere from hours ago), but I had to respond to this direct query

Yep, I'm the master of mind control, all right -- as anyone can tell from my phenomenal success swaying opinion on this list.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- what surprises me about PR isn't how subtle or sophistical it is but how obvious the lies are. People believe them because they want to believe them.

I would argue that most PR is a vanity-press-type operation -- with releases, speeches, etc. written to flatter the client's opinion of him/herself and not intended seriously to change opinions.

I think most people, deep down, understand that businesses are totally self-serving and business people, utterly full of shit. But they also know their livelihoods depend on those businesses, so they just tune out the propaganda.

Carl Remick