Butler (Re: cop shows, postmodernism and all that

Sam Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Mon Feb 8 15:48:54 PST 1999

To wax postmodern, theory is an important terrain of struggle. My hunch is that the right wing would not be in the position it is today without the efforts of Nozick, Hayek and Friedman in the 70's. Having a monopoly on the mass media helps, but the politicos were not exactly taking the advice of Chauncey Gardener.

Re: Marx and clarity. Remember that the works Marx published and intended to publish during his lifetime are very clear. Chap 1 of V1 of K is an exception especially sec. iii. The difficult theoretical work like the Grundrisse were not intended to be published and I doubt whether Marx would have published them in the condition they are published in today.

Sam Pawlett