[Fwd: [BRC-ALL] CBS Evening News Attacks Us]

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Feb 9 07:33:05 PST 1999

I wasna thinking of incidents of slavery amongst undocumented workers only, but also the official stuff like prison labour, workfare.... which raises the question of whether these latter are or aren't slavery, or something else... slave-like forms of work for sure, since the workers can't bargain, as the good doctrine of wage labour says. (now, I know all work is compelled; but does the return of explicitly-officially sanctioned and organised slave-like forms of work such as these tell us something - this 'something' being related to increases in work time, maybe?

angela

-----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>Probably anyone who wanted to scan all the papers in the U.S. could
find a goodly
>sprinkling of incidents. About 20 years ago in B-N it was revealed
that a
>restaurant owner in town was keeping a number of young mexicans in an
unfurnished
>unfurnished apartment (it was an unfurnished apt which had had no
furniture, even
>beds, put in it). It came out when one of them cut himself badly on a
meat slicer
>and almost bled to death. I would assume this is not particularly
uncommon, but
>have not the slightest idea how it could really be established. The
paper didn't
>give much information; I got more from a teacher in the spanish dept.
(She also