19th birthday of foundation of Brazilian Workers Party (PT)

emilio emilio at openlink.com.br
Tue Feb 9 12:24:29 PST 1999

Today is the 19th birthday of foundation of Brazilian Workers Party (PT) and yoy can take for granted that in the October 1998 elections, the Workers Party (PT) increased its relative weight in the Brazilian left and on the political scene.

The final numbers of last brazilian presidential elections gave us a revealing diagnosis of the state of the Workers Party ( PT) , its qualities and defects, virtues and vices, as well as the contradictory tendencies at work within the party and in its relations with society.

The Workers Party ( PT) is the main channel of political expression for popular discontent with neoliberalism and the government of Fernando Henrique Cardoso and Brazil Economic Agreement with I.M.F, as well as the deep political crisis and chaos menace for the economy that approaches in Brazil, bringing problems all over South America

I am a member of a group in PT-Rio de Janeiro Section ( Wladimir Palmeira Group ) that suffered a heavy-handed intervention by the majority ot the National Leadership ( DN-PT ) and we stand in oposition to the actual Government of Rio de Janeiro State, although the Workers Party (PT) won the vice-governor (Mrs. Benedita da Silva) , but we still have the Workers Party (PT) in our minds and in our hearts

At the end of this year, 1999, the Workers Party will have the II National Meeting and we hope to be back to our olds political positions and prepositions.

Congratulations to Brazilian Workes Party !!

Emilio