Clintonism, Monicagate and the budget

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Feb 9 12:25:21 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> > Brad De Long wrote:
> >
> > >How likely is it that we will get ourselves into a Japan-type situation?
> > >*If* we manage to avoid a Japan-type situation, then the risk to
> > growth is
> > >small...
> >
> > Good thing the U.S. economy doesn't resemble a bubble in any way!
> > Otherwise, the Japan scenario might be a threat.
>
> On the other hand, it is hard to imagine a generalized,
> societal reluctance to spend money when given the
> opportunity.

But will we be given the opprtunity? or will we spend the post-bubble decade "restoring confidence" by "paying down the debt" and preventing people from "elluding their personal responsibilities" through bankruptcy?

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique