Activism and Avoidance

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Tue Feb 9 05:35:29 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:11:16 EST Apsken at aol.com writes:
>Did you read the exchange, or have you forgotten it? We were debating
issues
>until Alex wrote, in avoidance to telling points, "Maybe you're one of
those
>privileged radicals from the 60s who could afford to go where the
struggle
>was. Not all of us are so fortunate."

Bullshit. You were boring the hell out of me with tales of your glory days long before I taunted you with that.

>Alex's demand for a "Marxist" theoretical reason to support a
straightforward
>demand for women's freedom from oppression is one example

Aw fer cryin' out loud! You're misrepresenting me again! I did not ask for a Marxist theoretical reason to support abortion. I asked how Marxists define their own support for abortion in terms separate from bourgeois liberals.

>Alex has taken Hitchens and Cockburn as his models, as he eventually
>acknowledged;

Along with John Waters, Thomas Pynchon, Robert Crumb, Don DeLillo, Michael Moore, Noam Chomsky, Tom Tomorrow, Karl Marx, and a host of others who manage to be enjoyable and thought-provoking, not shrill and and didactic.

>I do not agree with Doug that leftists are to blame for the lack of a
mass
>constituency.

Not entirely, but to a substantial extent. With self-righteous Leftist like you, it's no wonder most people could give two shits about the Left.

<soporific lapse into nostalgia and leftist arcana graciously snipped>

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]